Cemeteries | Rosehill | Calvary | Graceland | Oak Woods
Graceland Cemetery was founded in 1861 by Thomas B. Bryan, who purchased eighty acres of land, 5-1/2 miles from the center of the city, on rising ridges near the lake shore. Since then, various additions of land have been made and the cemetery became the second largest cemetery in the country, with Greenwood Cemetery in New York being the largest.
The grounds are improved in much the same manner as those of Rosehillâ€“there being several natural springs, from which water for irrigation and supplying the artificial lakes and fountains was drawn by steam pumps. The grounds are superbly ornamented with rare vases, beautifully designed statuary, noble monuments and handsomely kept walks, terraces, and flower beds. There have been 40,000 interments by 1885.
The sudden death of six year old Inez Clarke who was struck by lightning during a family picnic in 1880 is the core of a famous ghost story. Her heartbroken parents built a life sized statue of Inez and eventually put it in a glass case to protect it from vandals and the elements. According to legend, the statue of Inez will vanish from the box on occasion, especially during violent thunderstorms. Many years ago, a Pinkerton night watchman was making his rounds during a storm and discovered that the box that held the statue of Inez was empty. He left the cemetery that night, never to return to that job again. Other guards have also reported it missing, only to find it back in it’s place the following morning.
Marshall Field, John Kinzie, Cyrus McCormick, Carter Harrison, Potter Palmer, Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, Louis Sullivan, George Pullman and Daniel Burnham are a few of the famous people buried here.
Graceland can be found at 4001 North Clark Street.
Office and railway station at Graceland Cemetery in 1883. It had ceased to function as a passenger station in 1917.
There were actually two St. Paul Graceland station houses — a dark brick structure on the east side of the tracks and a second clapboard station house on the west side, partially on cemetery land.
This building was demolished around 1967.