Cemeteries | Rosehill | Calvary | Graceland | Oak Woods
Calvary Cemetery Entrance
Calvary Cemetery, located on the border beween Chicago and Evanston, IL on Sheridan Road, is the oldest existing cemetery that was established by the Archdiocese of Chicago. The first burials at this cemetery were in 1859. Many Irish Catholic churches favored Calvary. It was concecrated shortly after the date of the opening of Graceland, although prior to this, some of the bodies taken from the consecrated ground in the old Chicago Cemetery were re-interred here. The office of the cemetery was formerly located on Franklin Street in the city, but is now on the grounds. The cemetery is a large one, well kept, and beautified by many costly improvements. In 1885, the number of interments were over 20,000.
The first Mass was offered at Calvary Cemetery on the Feast of the Assumption 1865. The celebrant was Rev. Patrick Flannagan who was late for the event because his buggy had mired in the heavy sand of the north shore.
In 1866, a grave could be purchased at Calvary for $5. There was an additional charge of $2 for digging it.
The burial records of Calvary list many of the names of people who built the city and helped make Chicago great. It is the burial place of Governor Dunne and three mayors-John P. Hopkins, William E. Dever and Edward J. Kelly. Here, also, are the final resting places of four Catholic Bishops.along with Charles Comiskey and four generations of the Webmaster’s family.