Fort Dearborn Magazine, March 1921
New Wrigley Building, Chicago’s Tallest Structure
This City Has a 28-Story Building, Heretofore the Tallest Was 21
Built on Land Which Was Once the Property of tire First White Settler
Right across from the site of old Fort Dearborn, standing on land which was once the property of the first white settlers, at the north end of the bridge that links the boulevards of the South with those of the North Side, there has arisen a lofty tower. This tower is the crowning feature of the new Wrigley building. the tallest building in Chicago. In this building the architects. Graham, Anderson. Probst and White of Chicago, have embodied some of the characteristics of the chateaux of France, in ·the period of renaissance which occurred under Francis the First.
Starting at the base with grey stone work. harmonizing in color with the bridge itsel f, the tower springs upward through 400 feet of superb construction. its color growing ever lighter as it nears the apex,-an effect produced by different tones of tile. shading from grey to creamy white. The result is as if the sun were always shining on its upper reaches. To heighten the effect the lantern and finial at the very top have been covered with gold-leaf. which will be forever proof against the atmosphere.
From the ground to the top of the building there are thirty tiers of architecture, including the lantern and the colonnade. From the observation platform, which is twenty-eight stories in the air, may be had the best obtainable view of Chicago and its harbor short of taking an aeroplane. The clocks on the four sides of the tower are twenty-six feet across the dial. The lantern at the tip of the tower wilI carry a revolving beacon light, visible for miles out on Lake Michigan and from all quarters of the city.
Not the least beautiful aspect of the building is obtained from the vantage point of Michigan Boulevard at a distance of about a mile, where, advancing past the Monoroc Building. the University Club, and the Tower Building, one becomes suddenly conscious of the new presence between the walls of the buildings abutting on the river. From there one can see the tower in all the airy grace of its many pinnacles and turrets, much as one might glimpse the towers of some distant castle set on a rock long before he has seen its base.
Perhaps the most impressive view of all is that obtained from the surface of the river, west of Rush street. where the three stories which are below the street level are visible. and the whole vast pile seem enhanced in height by its quivering reflection in the rIver.
The cost of the Wrigley Building was $1,000,000. Foundation work started in April,: 1920, and the building will be completed by April of 1921.
1921 Aeroplane View of the New Boulevard Link and the South Tower of the Wrigley Building.
The Site of Old Fort Dearborn Is on the South Bank of the River Immediately Adjacent to the New Boulevard Link Bridge.
Looking west across Michigan Ave at the Wrigley Building